At The Original Mattress Factory, we invite you to take a mattress factory tour of our facilities and see for yourself how we make mattresses right - right in our store®. Click below to take our virtual mattress factory tour or visit one of our 11 factory locations to take your own on site mattress factory tour.
MULTI NEEDLE QUILT MACHINES
At The Original Mattress Factory, layers of quality foam and fiber are fed into multi needle quilt machines. Here, many needles work together to stitch these layers to the mattress fabric, forming a single quilted pad. This quilted pad is then handled in one of two ways:
- It is spooled into large rolls holding up to 50 yards to be cut into panels at a later date.
- It is cut into standard or special size panels to put on the top and bottom of our Twin, Full, Queen, King and custom size mattresses.
BUILDING A MATTRESS
When building a mattress, The Original Mattress Factory follows the steps listed below:
- A bare mattress spring is selected based on the size and model of the mattress to be built. This unit is then placed on a table that is specially designed for making mattresses.
- A thick layer of cotton padding is placed over the coils. Cotton is used when building a mattress to enhance the durability, comfort and tailoring of the final product. Padding materials will vary based on the type of mattress that is being made (i.e. Plush, Extra Firm or Pillow Top).
- A layer of convoluted foam is placed on top of the cotton.
- The quilted cover sewn on the multi-needle quilt machine is then placed on top of the padding layers and attached to the coils to prevent shifting of the padded materials.
- In building a two-sided product, the mattress is flipped and the process of layering the materials is repeated so that the padding is the same on both sides. The Original Mattress Factory offers a number of two-sided products because we believe in making mattresses with your long term comfort and durability in mind.
SEWING MACHINE OPERATION
A skilled operator uses a sewing machine to stitch a pre-cut piece of non-skid material to a quilted border using a binder.
TAPE EDGE MACHINE
The tape edge operation is considered to be one of the most difficult jobs in a bedding plant. The operator needs to use the tape edge machine to sew the top quilted mattress panel to the side border using a binder, walking backwards as he does so.
In the course of a day, the tape edge machine operator will walk about a mile backwards. After one side is done, the operator flips the mattress and does the other side. A two-sided pillow top style mattress needs to be sewn twice on each side.
UPHOLSTERING A BOX SPRING
The Original Mattress Factory follows these steps when upholstering a box spring in one of our factories.
- A box spring with an Amish built wood-frame is selected based on the model to be upholstered. Box springs vary based on the amount of wood and wire used. The box spring unit is placed on the pre-upholstery table and corner straps are attached.
- An insulator pad is then placed on top of the unit and wrapped on all four sides. Next, the cover is fitted over the whole unit.
- The box spring is then flipped over onto the box spring upholstery table and compressed about 1 inch. The cover is then attached to the frame using a pneumatic stapler.
- A layer of non-woven material is then stretched across the box spring and secured to produce a dust barrier. The box spring upholstery is then complete.